Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Back To The Cave

I recently unearthed a treasure of philosophical truth. How did I manage to miss out on the analogy of Plato’s Cave? I do not know.
I teach a Spiritual Formation class and used Plato’s cave analogy as the intro to the class. I find the analogy to be so incredibly appropriate to basic Christian discipleship.
Several years ago, I found myself as a prisoner in a cave, forced to face the front and be good. I questioned just enough to make myself look good and feel smart, but I was ever fearful that I would cross the line that would make others question me. Just as the prisoners in Plato’s cave were conditioned to only see the flickering shadows cast on the cave wall before them, so I was content to see, identify, and feel strongly about the images paraded before me. The shadows were my reality. I knew nothing different, and shaped my spiritual life according to these images. I became quite savvy in identifying the shadows. I knew them by heart. I gained my sense of acceptance and belonging from being able to expound and exegete the shadows.
But one day, or I should say by a process of many days of struggle, heart-ache, frustration, and despair, I was loosed from the chains, and started my journey. My “ascent to the sun.” The ascent out of the cave was difficult and wrought with perils of its own. I was accompanied by brokenness and suffering. At first brokenness and suffering appear to be antagonistic to my goal. They appeared to be against me. However, they were faithful and steady in the role of leading me to the opening of the cave and all that is beyond the cave. Once in the light of full sun, confusion set in as I began to see things in the light looked strangely familiar, but altogether foreign at the same time. The question, “What is true?” challenged and excited me. It amazed me and scared me. I wanted to know what was ultimately true.
As my eyes were “enlightened” (Ephesians 1: 18-20) I began to see truth as it really is, not merely the flickering shadow of truth. I began to experience the reality itself. That reality was nothing less than Jesus Himself (Colossians 2:17). Slowly I began to see Christ for who He truly is. I began to live, to really live, as if alive for the very first time. Time, truth, and love birthed a new desire deep within me. I began to think of all those friends and family in bondage in the cave. My desire and hope was to go “Back to the cave.”
So, here I am, in a most unusual place: the blogosphere. I am not computer literate, nor do I pretend to be. My hope and prayer for this blog is to return to the cave from whence I came to challenge you with news and reports of real spiritual life that will cause some of you to be free to be all that God in Christ created you to be, and to do all that God in Christ will empower you to do.
For those that think I’m blinded for going outside the cave, please don't kill me.
Kurt
PS: Will post the entire analogy next time.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool. Welcome to the blogging world.

Garrett

bmaloy said...

i was the first non caddy to check this out. i win. muahaha.

deliveredjude said...

well said sir, well said.

Anonymous said...

Hey I'm not sure if you read these comments, but this is the best way to get in touch with you. I found out about this guy's music. I was really impressed, and i was wondering why i had heard the name.... does Dustin Gamble ring a bell? I think he goes to SBU. Do you know him?

Garrett

Coffee Joe said...

I would not be so quick to use Plato's analogies when trying to teach Christians about sanctification. The whole story of the cave in it's context is not conducive to Christian thought or living at all. Now it may be the case that those who hear you mention it will not look into it and will only think about it in the limited context that you put it in- but if you or they take the text more seriously and more in line with what Plato intended- it will lead you away from God, not towards Him. I like reading Plato a lot more than the average guy, but Plato was wrong- and though his cave analogy is interesting in the frame you put it into- there is a long history of Christians having their minds (and subsequently there theology) corrupted by trying to get something out of Plato for the Church. It is easy, of course, because so much of what he writes seems almost to fit with the Biblical world-view, but I would advise caution with analogies like this. Subtle differences are not always insignificant differences. Welcome to the blogosphere.
God bless.