Friday, April 27, 2007

The Ascent of Brokenness

The prisoner in the cave has been freed. He has been loosed from the chains that have bound him for so long. The pain of freedom now overwhelms his stiff and weak joints. New freedom is painfully slow. But the prisoner is not yet free, he is only just begun the journey. And so it is in Christian freedom. Plato suggests that the prisoner is "reluctantly dragged up a steep and rugged ascent, and held fast until he's forced into the presence of the sun himself, is he not likely to be pained and irritated?"
When we are drawn to the Christ life we are often reluctantly dragged by frustration and brokenness. These comrades show no fear as they break the chains that bind us. They recklessly force us to the light which dazzles our senses and creates confusion about what are now being called realities. The truth will set us free, but not until it hurts us, confuses us or simply makes us mad. Brokenness takes us to places that will be steep and rugged. This is the very ascent that brings us to the place of grace and truth. We would faint to make the ascent on our own. We haven't the stomach for it, so brokenness shows the way and often carries us. Do not fear brokenness for it is the means and not the end. The Psalmist sings, "a broken and contrite spirit I will not despise." Brokenness brings us to the end of our self-life, self-love, self-effort, self- righteousness and self- indulgence.
The end of self is the beginning of Christ. For too long I spent my days trying to live for Jesus in my own self generated and self satisfying strength. Today I seek to have Christ live His life through me. I cannot live for Christ. The reality of the cross provides the way for the resurrected Christ to live in me and through me.
" I am crucified with Christ. I do not live anymore and the life I live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God who loved me and gave himself for me. And I do not set aside the grace of God , for if righteousness could be obtained by the Law, Christ died for nothing." Galatians 2:20-22
Friends, do not fear brokenness. God will not despise you. He will not break you for the sake of seeing you break. The pain and hurt have purpose. God can take the broken pieces of your existence and use them for your benefit. Do not be afraid. Do not be afraid. I say again, do not be afraid.

4 comments:

Sarah O. said...

Well, your teaching and honesty astound me. Laura told me you had a blog and it's great! Brokenness is leading me right now. I am very confused and frustrated, but I know that there is purpose is what is going on in me right now. Thanks for the blessing!

Coffee Joe said...

I've always liked brokeness. It has provided for me an experience of what I should have already accepted by revelation, but sometimes did not- namely, the power and love of God. I wish i could say, I read what God had written down about His own mercy and then believed it. I did not however. God in even more of His mercy moved me to an experience of it. I came to the end of myself and there I had to let go of my pretention. There I had to let go of my will. There I had to let go of my wrong presuppositions. God moved me in His merciful providence to experience the truth of what His revelation had already told me. This is truly amazing. Behold the condescension of God. And in that I had to let go of my fear. Oh how wonderful is our God. Well said, Kurt.

zach caddy said...

Hey Joseph,
I'm Kurt's son. I think you're pretty cool. Keep on coming here and commenting; my dad loves comments.

Foundations said...
This comment has been removed by the author.